Lesson 1 Practice Exercise
The following questions are multiple choices and/or true/false. You are to select the one that is
correct. Show your choice by CIRCLING the letter beside the correct choice directly up the page.
This is a self-graded lesson exercise. Do not look up the correct answer from the lesson solution
sheet until you have finished. To do so may hinder your ability to learn this material. Also, your
final examination score will tend to be lower than if you had not followed this recommendation.
1. The Elmira Reformatory was established in 1876 and was responsible for:
A. Originating prisoner aid societies.
B. The solitary system.
D. Rehabilitative programs.
2. Elmira Reformatory was used only for long-term offenders.
3. The Walnut Street Jail is noted for being:
A. Called the inspection house.
B. The first real penitentiary in the new world.
C. Established by Jeremy Bentham.
D. The first penitentiary to segregate prisoners by age and sex.
4. The Walnut Street Jail practiced the solitary system.
5. The first federal prison in America's history was Fort Leavenworth.
6. The first system to become self-supporting was the: