Lesson 2 PE
The following items will test your grasp of the material covered in this lesson. There is only one correct answer
for each item. When you complete the exercise, check your answers with the answer key that follows. If you
answer any item incorrectly, study again that part of the lesson that contains the information involved.
1. A prisoner has been extremely depressed since his arrival at the facility. He constantly makes comments that
he is no good and has nothing to live for. His friends inform you that he often talks about killing himself.
Which of the following is the best course of action for you to take?
a. Place the prisoner on detail to occupy his time.
b. Ignore him and the talk since the prisoner is only trying to gain attention.
c. Report the prisoner to your supervisor so that proper assistance can be given to the prisoner.
d. Order the prisoner to stop talking about suicide since you know he is only bluffing.
2. Counseling can be divided into two types:
Generalized and specialized.
Realistic and unrealistic.
Punitive and Informative.
3. In counseling, follow-up is used to:
Let the counselor know if the program is successful.
Let the prisoner know that the counselor is concerned.
Show if the proper solution to the problem was reached.
All the above.
4. The best person to solve a prisoner's problem is:
A chaplain or civilian minister or priest.
5. Counselors are selected by the commander from among the mature enlisted personnel of the activity. In
selecting personnel to be trained and used as prisoner counselors, the following qualifications should be
considered: Motivation, Educational Background, Personality Traits and Attributes, and...
Corrections Supervisory or NCO Experience
Personality Traits and Attributes
Both a and b.
None of the above.
6. Specialized counseling is guidance by professionally trained persons in the areas of their training and