e. Body of Statement. After the interview or interrogation has been completed, the results are
summarized. This summary is the statement recorded on the DA Form 2823. Notes or an electronic
recording of the interview provide the facts.
(1) All statements are written in the first person since it is a record of the interviewee's
statement. Verbiage and grammar can be changed to make it readable. Quotations that are material to
the case must be kept verbatim.
(2) There are several ways to present the statement on DA Form 2823. In the narrative
method, it is written in the interviewee's own words. This is used with cooperative victims and
witnesses. Figure 3-4 is a sample of this.
(3) In the question and answer method, specific questions and the interviewee's responses are
recorded. This limits the statement to relevant information only. However, it is time consuming and
may suppress valuable information.
(4) The combination method involves both the narrative and the question and answer
methods. The narrative is a recap of the interviewee's story in his/her own words. The questions and
answers would fill in any gaps not covered by the narrative. An example is shown in Figure 3-5. Figure
3-5 is a sample of how the last sentence of each statement should read:
Q: "Do you have anything you wish to add concerning the matter under investigation?"
A: "No"///End of Statement///
(5) The interviewee mist initial the time at the top of the form as previously stated! He
should also initial the bottom of each page on the designated lines. This ensures that he is aware of how
many pages were used to take his statement.
(6) The statement may not fit on the front and back of one DA Form 2823. Continuation
pages can be used. To do so, begin the statement on the front of DA Form 2823. Line out the reverse
side with one diagonal line drawn from corner to corner. Do not include the lined out side of the form in
the page count. It does not need to be initialed. Use white bond paper for the continuation pages. Each
page must have a heading. Give the same information as the heading of DA Form 2823 and display the
word "continued." The bottom of each continuation page must show the initials of the person making the
statement. It must also cite the page number in relation to total pages. Conclude the statement on the
back of a second DA Form 2823 which includes the affidavit.