b. Show of force is the second level of force.
(1) A show of force is authorized by the internment facility commander.
(2) A show of force is used to show disorderly detainees that the security personnel can
stop a disturbance. This consists of assembling enough personnel and equipment at the scene to
show the detainees that you have the capability to regain control of the situation, by force, if
(3) When an alarm sounds at an internment facility, all available staff members run to
the site of the alarm. This is an immediate show of force.
(4) Whenever a show of force is directed
(a) Report where directed by supervisor.
(b) Assume position as directed by supervisor.
(c) Do not engage prisoners unless directed to do so.
(d) Await further orders from supervisor.
c. Use of chemical aerosol irritant projectors is the third level of force and will be used IAW
local and host nation restrictions:
(1) Use of oleoresin capsicum (OC) cayenne pepper and (CS) incapacitating sprays (as
applicable), are authorized, but not limited, under the following circumstances:
(a) The installation/theater commander or his designated representative(s)
authorized the use of CS and OC spray. This must be in writing, on file, at the internment facility.
(b) If a prisoner is unruly and is known to have a weapon in his possession.
(c) If a prisoner has barricaded himself inside his cell/area.
(d) If a prisoner has smeared a slippery substance on his body or on the floor and
walls of the cell/immediate location.
(e) The prisoner cannot be approached without risk of serious physical injury to
the detainee or others, or the approach would result in a major disturbance or serious property
(2) OC pepper spray may be carried by armed escort guards outside the internment facility
to assist the guard in applying the proper level of force when controlling an unruly detainee IAW
local Standard Operating Procedure (SOP).
(3) A medical doctor should be consulted prior to the use of OC pepper spray, unless the
commander determines that circumstances are such that immediate use is necessary. Whenever