(7) The Commander or designated representative should provide all available training to
ensure that all personnel are familiar with the proper employment of the riot baton.
(8) High-pressure water is used primarily to disperse a group of disorderly prisoners.
When used, either spray the water over the detainee's head or at the detainee's lower body (legs
and feet). (In cold weather, personnel may be directed to spray over the prisoner's heads. This
will allow a spray of mist to fall on the prisoners.) Never spray at prisoner's head.
NOTE: All applications of force should be recorded in the internment facility blotter. All
applications of force, to include preparatory announcement and warnings, will be videotaped.
e. Presentation of a deadly force capability, the fifth level, will be used to show disorderly
prisoners that the security personnel can and will stop the disturbance.
(1) This consists of assembling enough personnel and weapons at the scene to show the
prisoners that you have the capability to regain control of the situation.
(2) Presentations of deadly force may include drawing a weapon (9-mm) from its holster
during an escape attempt and pointing it at the escaping detainee while ordering him to halt.
f. Deadly force, the last level of force, will be used:
(1) The use of firearms or other means of deadly force is justified only under conditions of
extreme necessity as a last resort. Whenever deadly force is used, the internment facility
commander must have written authorization from the installation/theater commander on file.
(2) When directed to use deadly force, shoot to disable, not to kill.
(3) Fire by selected marksmen. Selected marksmen are used for firing on groups and
individuals who are committing acts that endanger the lives of other prisoners or personnel being
used to quell the riot or disorder. These marksmen may be used as directed by the installation
commander or his designated representative.
(4) Use of full firepower. If it is determined that the riot or disorder has progressed to the
point where the lives of the security force and the security of the facility are seriously endangered
and all other means of control have been ineffective, full firepower of the security force may be
used as directed by the installation commander or his designated representative.
(5) Authorization, in writing, from the installation commander, as to the use of the above
PART G - Bomb Threats.
1. Before discussing how to react to a bomb threat, bomb search techniques, and actions to take
upon encountering a bomb, we will cover some definitions.