c. Contact points.
d. Emphasize time limits.
16. Observe and Note the Following Route Conditions.
a. Width: Measure the roadway in meters as you start the recon and then along the route if it
shows any change in road width. These will include:
b. Type of route:
(1) X - All weather route. This route can be used in all types of weather and without really
reducing the amount of traffic. It will not be closed because of weather except for temporary snow or
(2) Y - All weather route. (Limited traffic due to weather.) This route can be kept open in all
weather, but traffic may be considerably reduced. Route may be completely closed for traffic for short
periods of time.
(3) Z - Fair weather route. Route becomes impassable in bad weather. Cannot be kept open
without major work. This type of route is affected by bad weather. Traffic may be halted for long
c. Military road classification system. This is a load capacity rating system which takes into
account vehicle weight and type and its affect on routes and bridges. The system is presented by
numbers assigned to vehicles. Bridges are already marked with signs stating their capacity.
d. Height. Measure the following items during recon and record them on your overlay:
(4) Overhead obstructions, wires, trees, bridges.
e. Lowest overhead clearance.