(17) The purpose for the change of custody should be described briefly, such as "EVALUATION
AS EVIDENCE" or "RELEASED TO EVIDENCE CUSTODIAN." This procedure is followed for each
(18) Location should be written in pencil (such as "SAFE 1, SHELF 4").
(19) Document number is a two-part number (such as "1-97") which represents the first
evidence custody document received in the calendar year.
(20) Final disposal action section is used by the evidence custodian and approving authority in
making final disposition of the evidence, Completion of this section only pertains to documents retained
by the evidence custodian. The number of the item is entered on the destroy line. The name, rank, or
address will be entered on line one (person to receive property). For evidence which will be destroyed,
the item number and method of destruction is indicated (such as "ITEM 1 -BURN").
(21) The final disposal authority section is completed when the evidence is of no further value.
Portion number one is completed by the evidence custodian. The second portion is completed by the
individual authorized to grant final disposal authority (usually SJA).
(22) The witness to destruction of evidence section is completed for any items of evidence that
are destroyed. The witness will place their name, organization, and signature in this section.
PART J -MILITARY POLICE PROPERTY IDENTIFICATION TAG (DA FORM 4002). (See Figure 1-
a. This tag is made out in one copy. It is used to identify items of property which are found, seized
as evidence, or received by military police for safekeeping. It is used in conjunction with DA Form
4137, Property Receipt.
b. The tag is completed by the MP or SA initially acquiring the evidence and is attached to the
Figure 1-20. DA Form 4002.