Distribution. On initial reports, the Distribution space is left blank. On final reports, state the
number of copies and where they are being sent. Distribution will normally be set by local policy in
accordance with AR 190-45.
For the Commander. Persons signing this form should be designated by local policy, and if
signing for the commander the person must be on orders. Reports not requiring commander's action
can be signed by designated individuals not on orders striking out the "For the Commander" line.
PART C - SWORN STATEMENT (DA FORM 2823).
a. DA Form 2823 is used when taking a statement from any person regardless of their relationship
to a specific case. The person may be an accused subject, victim, complainant, or witness. (See
Figures 1-5 and 1-6.)
b. This form is filled out by the person making the statement.
c. Check for the following:
(1) Location. Local SOP will dictate an address which includes building number, street name,
installation (or city), state, and zip code.
(2) Date and time. The date is written day, month and year. The time is expressed in terms of
the military 24-hour clock. The individual making the statement must place his/her initials in the "Time"
(3) Name, social security number, grade, organization/address of the person making the
(4) Person's statement. The statement is prepared by the person in narrative form (first
person), or in a question and answer format, with the help of the investigator, or narrative and question
and answer format which produces the best results.
(5) The person making the statement must initial the bottom of all pages. When corrections
are made on DA Form 2823 a slash will be made through each letter of the word to be corrected and
the person making the statement will initial the correction. White-out and correction tape will not: be
(6) Number of total pages. The number of total pages will be written at the bottom of each
additional page (page 2 of 4 pages). When more than two pages are used, the back of page number
one will be lined out and the statement concluded on the reverse side of another copy of the DA Form
(7) Affidavit. Indicates the statement has been sworn to under oath and signed by the person
making the statement. The authority for military police to administer oaths is contained in Article 136